Campaign Communications Strategist
For over one hundred years, the ACLU has been at the forefront of every major civil liberties fight in our country’s history. The ACLU of Michigan, founded in 1959, is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, public interest organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights in Michigan. Whether it’s reducing the prison and jail population, achieving full equality for the LGBTQ community, reducing immigration detention, or ending unjust laws that strip people of their fundamental right to vote, we take up the toughest civil liberties issues to defend all individuals from government abuse and overreach. We are a passionate, highly motivated group of lawyers, public policy experts, lobbyists, community organizers, communicators, and fundraisers, and we’re looking for exceptional talent to join our team.
This is an incredibly exciting time to join the ACLU of Michigan. As an organization, we believe that our work in becoming a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace that centers a sense of belonging is a perpetual journey rather than a destination.
The Campaign Communication Strategist develops, executes, and leads ACLU of Michigan communication strategy for mid- and long-term issue campaigns designed to advance ACLU priorities. This position works in collaboration with interdepartmental campaign teams to grow our organizational reach and mobilize support to increase the power of the ACLU, and advance civil rights and civil liberties across Michigan. This is a full-time position reporting directly to the Communication Director.
- Develop and execute campaign communication strategies in collaboration with campaign teams designed to advance ACLU priorities through legislation, ballot measures, and public education efforts;
- Identify key audiences and develop messaging and talking points that is guided by ACLU values, best practices, research, and polling;
- Lead the development of a robust and high impact earned media campaign strategy, including drafting press releases, media advisories, opinion pieces, and other earned media assets;
- Develop and prepare spokespeople for events, press conferences, and media interviews;
- Collaborate closely with the Digital Strategist on digital campaign content strategy, data metric review analysis, asset creation, and paid digital ad plans to further the communication campaign goals;
- Provide support in the creation of digital media content;
- Fulfills ad placements in radio, TV, newspapers, and digital according to communications campaign strategy and budget;
- Co-lead the tracking of campaign communications activities, including media engagement and outreach, campaign milestones and events, and building analytics reports;
- Assist with virtual and in-person events to support campaigns; and
- Promote the values of equity and inclusion in all areas of the organization’s work.
Experience and Qualifications:
- A strategic, creative, and forward-looking thinker, who is nimble in their approach and able to manage shifting priorities;
- Exceptional writing and communication skills; ability to translate complex ideas into understandable messages that inform, engage and persuade targeted audiences;
- Exceptional organization skills with an ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment while managing several projects;
- Strategic communications, public relations, campaign or media experience;
- Experience using public opinion research to frame issues and develop messages a plus;
- Experience with or commitment to ethical storytelling; and
- Ability to work flexible hours and travel when necessary.
- Committed to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals and programs, with an understanding of the range of civil liberties issues and their implications;
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance; and
- A team player that inspires collaboration, functions decisively and aspires to grow professionally.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position is a level 5 position, with a salary range of $70,000.00 to $80,000.00 annually, depending on experience. Excellent benefits, including health, vision, and
dental insurance and a 401(k)-retirement plan with matching contributions, an individual professional development budget, and an employee assistant program are provided. The ACLU also facilitates a wide range of nationwide employee resource groups.
We want to hear from you:
We know that not all strong candidates will have every skill we list. That’s OK. We still want to hear from you. Research shows that women, non-binary people, and people of color are less likely to apply for a position if they don’t meet every skill listed. At the ACLU of Michigan, we believe our collective differences enable us to make better decisions, drive innovation, and deliver better programmatic results. We are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable state and nation, and we know that begins with us doing the work ourselves.
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will begin reviewing job applications April 21. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU of Michigan is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please call 313-578-6800 or mail a letter to 2966 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI, 48201. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request accommodation for the interview process.